Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2011

THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY

You remember my review on George Melies "A Trip to the Moon" (1902); well now it's time for me to review another important film to cinema...
 Image result for The Great Train robbery

Thomas Edison's film is about a group of bandits who rob a train and in the end get what's coming to them, short and simple plot. The film is known as one of the first full length American Films. Some people mistake the film as the first film with moving pictures, which really ticks me off. The film is best known for its use of editing, cinematography and meanwhile moments, which takes a big step for Movie Making. It's also known as one of the first "narrative" movies.

What I love about the film is, it immediately starts off with the action, we don't know who these bandits are and why they're robbing the train, all we know is, they're doing this for serious cash. Looking at the action in this film, it may not be effected in today's standards, but at the time it was pretty violent, even having audiences ducking for cover in the last scene. The timing in this film is impressive because this film is only 11 minutes long and already we know what's going on, to me it didn't feel like 11 minutes, it felt like 15 minutes. Every scene I see in this movie is just pure genius! I'm not going to spoil them for you because I think you should see the film for yourself.

The films influence didn't just help inspire the world of film making, there are also numerous references to the film and films that use the same techniques that this film has. Allow me to give a few examples.

I might as well start with the most notable reference, the ending in "GoodFellas" when Joe Pesci shoots at the Audience, is shot the same way to the films ending.
   

As a matter a fact where do you think the idea came for the gun barrel sequence at the opening of a Bond Film?



Even "Pulp Fiction" has an homage to this movie. When Pumpkin and Honey bunny steal the customers' wallets by rounding them up at the Diner, that is a direct reference to when the robbers take money from all the civilians on the train by rounding them up (The hold up scene).
  


Just take a look at western films and tell me if this film didn't have at least inspire the director to create a western or have a scene that resembles any of the scenes in this movie. This film is a true treasure and a masterpiece. I'd tell you more, but I'd rather you see it, for yourself.

RATING 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment