Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

NOTE: This review was released a few years after Michael Jackson's death.

Since one of music history's most talented and famous musician just died, I think now would be a good time to write a movie review on a movie that Michael Jackson has starred in. If you are one of those Michael Jackson haters please skip this review.



Moonwalker is a Fantasy Music film starring Michael Jackson with different segments. I will rate each segment individually.

MAN IN THE MIRROR


The film opens with a Music video. The Music video is a concert of Michael Jackson performing the song "Man in the Mirror" which also shows montages of historical figures such as Gandhi, Martin Luther King JR, John Lennon and more. The first segment was a good choice to open the film. I liked the song and also loved the montage of the historical figures. I even loved the message in the song.

I give the first segment a 5/5.

RETROSPECTIVE

 

This segment shows a montage of Michael Jackson's start from the Jackson five to his solo career. The montage I thought was well made. I liked the animation they put into it; I love the editing and creative look; and I also loved their choices of songs. The only thing I wish they could have done a little better in one of the songs in the montage is "We Are The World". The reason why is all you see is rain drops and in those drops are images of Michael Jackson and the chorus of the celebrities, but it's a little hard to see the chorus. I also would have loved to see his video with Paul McCartney included in the montage, but that's more of something I want to see than a criticism. Other than that the segment is still awesome. I give it a 5/5

BADDER



This next musical segment is the song Bad. You're probably thinking it's Michael Jackson's Music video of bad, well yes and no. This segment is the Music video, but it's redone by Kids. The segment was cute, but it wasn't as good as the other segments. It was simply entertaining. I give it a 2/5

SPEED DEMON



This next segment is a Claymation Music video that takes place after the kid's version of Bad called "Speed Demon". The short is about Michael Jackson being chased by his beloved fans and the press, and he disguises himself as a rabbit and rides a motorcycle to try to get away from them. The claymation in the chase sequence was great, but some parts in the film the Claymation characters looked a little fake when they interact with real people. Also at the end of the clip out of nowhere, Michael Jackson rabbit costume comes to life and he's dancing with it. I liked the dancing and I know this is a surreal world where logic is completely thrown out the window, but a costume that Michael was wearing suddenly coming to life complete with a name, that to me a little felt too weird.

I give it a 4/5

LEAVE ME ALONE



This segment is Michael Jackson's Grammy winning Music video "Leave Me Alone." The Music Video is about the media poking their nose at Michael Jackson's personal life and Michael Jackson feels they won't leave him alone no matter how much he's proven innocent. The music video really speaks out for Jackson (but keep in mind this happened before the child molestation, this just all about the rumors of him in the 80's.), but I didn't feel this video should be in this movie because it's a kids movie and I don't think kid's will understand what he's singing about. I give this Music video 4/5 only for being out of place for a kids film.

SMOOTH CRIMINAL

 

This segment FINALLY leads us to the main story of the whole movie called "Smooth Criminal." Michael Jackson uses his powers of a lucky star to protect children (including John Lennon's son Sean Lennon) from an Evil Mobster named Frankie Lideo (Played by Joe Pesci). The segment I thought really brought out the film, especially when he danced and sang the song "Smooth Criminal" with a bunch of criminals. I also thought the special effects were good, especially for when Michael changes into things. The weird thing about the segment is why are kids hanging out with a grown man, it's never explained. Also, Joe Pesci character talks about drugs, what he plans to do with them and even tries to stick a needle into a little girl. I mean, why would you talk about drugs in a kids film. He even brutally hits a little girl, which I find way too violent.  Otherwise it was good segment and the Smooth Criminal number kicks ass, I just didn't find the story all that good.

My rating for this segment is a 3/5

COME TOGETHER/CREDITS




Here's the final segment of the whole movie. The film end's with Michael Jackson singing a cover version of the Beatles's Song "Come Together" and then during the credit's we see Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Michael did a good cover of "Come Together" and Ladysmith Black Mambazo sing in great harmony as they close out the film that comes complete with behind the scenes clips, and fun editing on the scenes that we've seen throughout the film.

My rating is 5/5

This movie is a good Michael Jackson film I think it really brings out children's Imagination despite being too violent and adult at a few points. The film is almost as Imaginative as the Beatles animated movie "Yellow Submarine", and if you like Michael Jackson and you're up to a film with a lot of creativity and music, this is the film; even if the film does feel more like watching a compilation of Music Videos then being an actual film.

My Overall rating for this movie is 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment