Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD



  
Based on the Pulitzer Prize Winning Book, "To Kill a Mockingbird" takes place in a town called Maycomb, set during The Great Depression. A Lawyer named Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) agrees to defend a Black man Named Tom Robinson (Brock Peters) who is accused of Rape. The story is seen through the eyes of Atticus's young daughter Scout (Mary Badham) who doesn't just focus on her Father's Trial, she also wonders about the Mysterious Neighbor Boo Radley.




The acting in the film is without a doubt incredible, just incredible! The acting really makes the film very enjoyable! Gregory Peck's portrayal as Atticus Finch is outstanding; he really brings this character to life. My favorite scenes that I enjoy seeing him the most are the scenes when he's with his children; those scenes are so beautiful that it can just touch your heart! The performances of Mary Badham, Philip Alford, and John Megna as the Children are another important reason why the acting in the film is so good. Every time I see the kids in the film (Especially when they're together) it makes me want to shed a tear of joy! They make the film funny, exciting and interesting! They're almost like "The Little Rascals" only in a serious way. The supporting actors in the film are also enjoying as well, especially Robert Duvall's surprise appearance in the movie, but in my opinion the best acted part in the movie is the whole Trial scene!



The Score for the film is another important reason why the film's good because it fits in with the tone it's aiming for. The score really helps bring the film its light side, serious side and thrilling side. I also found the cinematography creative as well like the opening sequence with the Cigar Box, The mysterious fight scene, The special appearance of Robert Duvall, and a whole lot more!


Now before I give the film my rating there are some of you who are probably disappointed that I didn't compare the book to the Movie. If you want to know why you can continue to read the rest of the paragraph. If you're not interested you can skip this paragraph! Before I begin, let me tell you right off the bat that I loved the book! The reason why I didn't compare it with the movie is because I look at Movies, Books, Theater, and Video Games as separate ways of entertainment! Now granted where the original idea came from like from a book, for example, is always going to be better because that's where it came from. When that book is adapted to a Movie, Video Game, or Play it's all done differently. Here's an example, my all-time favorite movie is a tie between "Godfather" and "Godfather part 2". The Godfather had started out as a book, then as a Movie and then became a Video Game. I loved the Book, Movie and Game, but which do you think I thought was better? Well the Book had a lot of story and gave me my own vision of the characters. The movie had excellent acting and directing. The Video Game (Even though I'm not much of a Gamer) had great gameplay and made me feel like I was in the Godfather World. Which one did I like the most? My answer is they're all awesome because how can I compare acting and directing to a book; how can I compare Gameplay with a movie; and how can I compare my own vision to a Game or Movie? The only thing these different forms of entertainment have in common is mostly the same storyline only they're told in a different style of art! That's why I didn't compare the film by the book. NOW BACK TO THE REVIEW!

Some of you are going to be surprised by the rating I'm about to give the film, but this film has incredible acting; a wonderful score; and creative cinematography and without it this film wouldn't be the classic it is today. So that's why I think the film deserves

RATING 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment