Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

RAIN MAN

Well, I just reviewed "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and I heavily criticized DiCaprio's performance for playing a mentally challenged person by going to far with it and going extremely over the top to the point where he isn't convincing and is just playing a "Simple Jack" stereotype. I talked about a few films that portray mentally challenged and autistic people in the right way, so I decided to review...



Tom Cruise plays a selfish car dealer named Charles, who just finds out that his Father is dead. His father left him a car but he left his 3 billion dollars to a Mental Institution. An outraged Charles goes to the Institution to find out why and discovers that the money is going to his brother Raymond who he didn't know he had a brother. However, his brother is very autistic and with Charles thinking that he deserves the money, he takes Raymond out of the hospital to Los Angeles to meet his attorney's. However, what was scheduled to be a flight to Los Angeles now becomes a road trip.


Let's talk about our two leads since they're the focus. Tom Cruise as the selfish brother is actually really good as the character. I'm not really a Tom Cruise fan but I do enjoy him in films that he's known for and well this is one of them. Out of all the characters that changes in this film, it's not Hoffman, it's actually Cruise who changes. He goes from being a selfish and greedy guy who only uses his brother for the money to understanding him and trying to help him as well as teaching him and this development is done really great. In  fact the relationship and chemistry between him and Hoffman is so good, so interesting, so sweet and so entertaining that it makes the supporting cast forgettable, aside from Cruise's love interest Susanna played by Valeria Golino who's very enjoyable too. Hoffman as this autistic man, plays the role surprisingly well. He doesn't go over the top, he doesn't go to extremes to become memorable, he plays it very convincingly and understandable and from a young man like me who has a bit of autism and has been with autistic people, he makes the role really become real instead of being a "Simple Jack" stereotype. Yes, people have attacked this film because of his performance and some claim he's not realistic but to me he's perfect for the role. On top of it, I love how his autism is explored and showing the benefits that he can bring. I really do think Hoffman gave it his all to this performance and I'm glad that he won the Oscar for this because he really deserves it and played the role very convincing.



What I really enjoy about this film is, it's a road trip film and throughout the film, I really feel like I'm with these people. The acting is very realistic, the cinematography and art direction really capture the feel and beauty being on the road and I like how that there's not much of score when we're on the road and that all we hear is the two talking or hearing the radio. Speaking of the score, while it fits the films moments, I sadly do find it forgettable. Again I love that the film shows the benefits from autistic people and one of my favorite moments from the film is when the two go gambling Vegas and when Hoffman can show how great he is with Math.

Overall this is one of the best acted films that I've ever seen and it's a road trip of a movie that I can't wait to go on again.

RATING 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment