Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

THE DUTCH MASTER (SHORT FILM)

THE DUTCH MASTER


Teresa is a woman who's about to be married but she doesn't feel ready to live a married life. She spends most of her time viewing a painting called "The Dutch Master" at a museum and every time she views it, it comes alive. The film is narrated and told from the point of view of her friends. While sounding like an interesting short movie it wasn't as good or interesting as I thought it was going to be, it kind of left me in a "huh" scenario. The main character doesn't say much or do much, all she does in the film is obsess over a guy in a painting, dress up like the people in it and just observe her surroundings. I guess I wouldn't mind it so much if she wasn't so boring and weird. Seriously who dresses up to work in old fashion clothes and not get into any trouble. I also felt nothing but blandness from her, her facial expressions don't say or do much, it just feels there. Her friends and relatives that narrate the film, are utterly annoying then likable and funny and I swear half the time I feel like I'm watching an over the top reality show, where a bunch of idiots are nagging at the camera (Like "Jersey Shore" for example). The scenes when she enters the painting and when it comes alive, isn't enchanting or beautiful, it's just dull and had me thinking what the heck is going on the whole time. At first, I think it's her losing track of reality and making us think everything is all in her head and to be honest, I wouldn't mind that. However, in the ending (SPOILER!) it's real and while I wouldn't mind it so much since it's a fantasy film, there's so much blandness, goofiness and confusion put into it that I don't know what to make of it. All I'll say is, I wasn't enchanted as the film (I guess) was suppose to make me feel. She doesn't even spend any time with the handsome guy in the painting, so how will I know if the two even like each other or heck know what their I guess "happy ending" is going to be like? The film is a confusing mess, our character lacks any character, the comedy from the friends and relatives are lame and the magic and romance (If you can call it that) is nowhere near magical. How it got nominated for an Oscar is beyond me.

RATING 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment