Search This Blog

Friday, February 21, 2014

DR.SEUSS THE CAT IN THE HAT 1971 CARTOON



During my first year of being a critic, I reviewed "The Cat In The Hat" starring Mike Myers and while I panned the film, I did enjoy the special effects, set designs and Mike Myers as the Cat despite not being child friendly. However, as you get older some things don't hold up as well as you remember them. There are indeed a few films that I watched as a kid that don't hold up and "The Cat In The Hat" starring Mike Myers is one of them.



One of the things that opened my eyes was Doug Walker's review of the film as the "Nostalgia Critic", which did make me think more differently of the film than I ever did. That speech he makes; his defenses and examples on how DrSeuss' work is being torn apart; and his characters Peter Soulless the greedy Hollywood Executive and the devil's innocent daughter (Who reminded me of me when I was a kid watching it); really helped show how horrible, mean and disrespectful the film truly is. It's also one of his best reviews!



I also looked deep within myself and looked back at the many things that were wrong with the film as well as taking a closer look at the things I praised to see if they alone really hold up. First off, my parents disliked this film even when it first came out, and growing up and even when writing the review of the film, I can understand why. When I read my criticisms and thoughts about the film, I found plenty to hate from the film. It was mean, it was gross, it was scary, it was perverted, it was offensive, it was forced, it was corny and had everything that can go wrong with a kids film and most of it had to do with the Cat. Yeah, I laughed at Mike Myers's adult humor despite knowing that his portrayal of the Cat is out of place and completely not kid oriented; in fact, as a kid, I was quoting a lot of lines from his performance in this film, which I actually feel ashamed of now when I think about it and look at the film now. Comparing Mike Myers to his SNL performances, some of his films and most of all his voice acting in the kids films "Shrek" where he perfectly balanced out the humor for kids and adults and made the character more likable, fun and innocent than a total spazz; this is actually nowhere near as good as any of those performances. It's not all Myer's fault either, it's the writing and dialogue they gave him. How can you picture the Cat cursing; how can you picture a DrSeuss film with more sexual innuendos and perverted humor than "The Grinch" with Jim Carrey; how do you expect to laugh at most of the gross jokes being thrown at you; it honestly doesn't hold up!



Oh yeah, I did praise the special effects and set designs by the director Bo Welch, but that doesn't hold up either, when you think about it, it actually feels like an expensive set that the writers of the "Movie" films can afford as well as looking like the Seuss theme park attraction at Universal Studios. It's not groundbreaking, it's not jaw dropping, and comparing it to Welch's other works and DrSeuss's works in literature and film, it's not all that creative. I also praised the kid actors in the film and they don't hold up either, in fact, they're actually pretty dull, which is sad since they're played by decent kid actors.

The numero ono reason why the film doesn't hold up is because I ran into what I like to call the REAL film adaptation of this classic and iconic Seuss story that I haven't seen since childhood which is the 1971 cartoon...



As you may have guessed, it follows the classic story more closely than the Myers film. Two kids are left home alone by their Mother (Not really good parenting if you ask me, but it follows the story, it's a fantasy, and plus it's better than having a stereotypical offensive Asian babysitter) during a rainy day with nothing to do. However, the Cat In The Hat walks in and shows them how to have fun by breaking a few rules and mess up the house, while a talking fish tries to stop their fun. That's pretty much your plot; no outside activities, no mother of all messes, no forced conflict between Mother and messy son with a control freak sister, and NO ALEC BALDWIN NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR!



The Cat is voiced by Allan Sherman, who I like to call the original Weird Al of the time. His performance as the Cat is just how we know and love the Cat. He's fun, he's humble, he's lovable, he's smart, and above all he's not over the top or gets you to the point where you're so annoyed that you want him out of the house so the cartoon can end soon. He can also rhyme unlike the Myers Cat who can't. His humor is also fun too, and yes he doesn't play on the adult level, although there are a few jokes I did catch that I didn't pick up as a kid. For example, when the kids reluctantly tell him to leave, he's sad and says he's going to Siberia and as a small kid I didn't know what that place was. I also love how he fools the kids into playing games by making up a ruse about his missing "moss-covered three-handled family gradunza" which is revealed to be that vehicle he uses to clean the house at the end. As for the supporting characters, they're all perfect. The kids while not having any specific character to them (As if the Myers film succeeded with that) they're still fun, likable and innocent. His Two Things, my god are they more enjoyable and fun than creepy, annoying and obnoxious and plus one of them is voiced by the great Thurl Ravenscroft! And you finally have the talking Fish, voiced by Daws Butler, who is another great voice actor. He's so funny, and yet so strict, but yet so likable that you just have to enjoy this character from beginning to end, and the rivalry between him and the Cat is a lot of fun.



The songs surprisingly still hold up as well as it did when I was a kid. At times these songs don't really feel needed, but they're still catchy and a lot of fun. You have the opening song "Nothing To Be Done" that sets up the tone and feel of the cartoon while the fish looks around at the toys that they could play with. You have two of the Cats playfully sad and dramatic songs. One is him singing about his lost  "moss-covered three-handled family gradunza" which is sung beautifully; while the other one is him comically insulting himself. Then there's the lullaby he sings to fish which is a parody on "Beautiful Dreamer" which is both fun and very settling. There's also "Anything Under The Sun" sung by The Cat and his Things which is a really fun song that I find myself constantly enjoying from beginning to end. You'll also learn Dr.Seuss's method of process of elimination called "Calculatus Eliminatus" which by the way, Seuss wrote all the songs for this cartoon. The closing song as the Cat cleans the house called "Sweep Up All The Memories" is really beautiful and does indeed close the cartoon on a perfect note. My favorite song is "Cat, Hat" which is a fun song about learning "Cat In The Hat" in different languages. They sing "Cat In The Hat" in Russian wrong, but it's still funny as heck. As for the score, it's perfect and does bring an authentic Dr.Seuss feel.

 

The Animation is done by Chuck Jones (Who also did the animation for the classic Seuss cartoon "How The Grinch Stole Christmas") and just as you imagine, it's nice. It's colorful, it's creative, it's fun and looks like watching a Seuss book come to life before our very eyes. The film has plenty of funny moments for kids to enjoy; my personal favorite scene is when the fish tries to call, the FBI to report the Cat In The Hat. Just the idea of that moment is so funny and yet so odd that it actually works well in this cartoon. The moral about rule breaking being ok as long as not taking it to to far works just as well in the cartoon as it does in the story and is more focused on it here than it is in the Myers film; maybe if it didn't have all those forced in extra morals it wouldn't be that bad. I guess if there's one or two nitpicks I had with this cartoon is I did wish to see The Cat balance the fish with all the other objects he balances instead of using bubbles to balance the fish but in the context of the cartoon it's still funny. I also get confused on who's voicing the Things since they change the voice actors occasionally which I did indeed spot as a kid. With that aside, it's still a great adaptation to a timeless story.

You know when you spend time with a friend and you have so much fun that you don't want it to end, but when it does end you feel sad, but feel satisfied and happy that you had such a great time; well that's what I feel like when watching this cartoon. It feels like being a kid again and it does indeed hold up better than what Bo Welch tried to bring to the big screen. The moral is focused really well here, the characters are cute, the songs are catchy and the animation is great. Yeah, I guess at times you do feel some filler moments, but with that said, it still works within the context of the story and doesn't feel out of place. I'm glad I saw it again and watching this cartoon, seeing Doug's review, rereading my review, and thinking back to the Myers film makes me realize that the Myers film is complete CRAP!

RE-RATING FOR THE MYERS FILM

0/5

RATING FOR THE CARTOON

5/5

As for Mike Myers, don't worry, I'm planing on doing a favorite list of when he was in his prime.

8 comments:

  1. I completely disagree with everything you have said on this page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with a lot of what you have said on this page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In The Nostalgia Critic's review of The Cat In The Hat, the Nostalgia Critic complimented the film Mary Poppins. The film Mary Poppins has plenty that is bad about it, including that in this movie, Mary Poppins manipulates Jane and Michael and treats them in a way that is not nice. Also The Cat In The Hat is a film that actually has a lot that is good about it, it deserves more credit. It has good set design, and apart from Mike Myers himself, good acting. Some parts of it are funny and it does at least add subplots to the story of it. Also The Cat teaches Sally and Conrad how to be better people in the end and the ending of this film is very happy, which is good. Even if this film is not a good adaptation of the book which it is based on, the cartoon of The Cat In The Hat changes things from the book which it was based on too, and the way which the cat and Thing 1 and Thing 2 treat the fish in this cartoon is cruel. Also this cartoon is tedious throughout part of it and the children in it don't have enough of a personality. The part about a gradunza isn't even in the book of The Cat In The Hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I myself highly disagree with everything you just said. But to each their own as I always say. Sorry if my opinions didn't match yours.

      Delete
  4. It's fine, we can agree to disagree, but I'm curious to know, what do you disagree with about the points I have made? I'll stick to the subject of The Cat In The Hat here, talking about Mary Poppins would be going off topic. But I'd be curious to know, did you really dislike the set design of The Cat In The Hat and dislike all of the acting in it? Did you really not like how there were subplots added to it and that it has a happy ending with Sally and Conrad improving? And did you really not mind the cartoon version changing some things from the book or that the way the fish was treated was cruel?

    If you really didn't like any of the things from the film or mind any of the things from the cartoon I have mentioned here, then that's fine. I just wanted to bring up all of these points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your respectful, I like that from a person. Well I thought I made my points clear in the review, but I don't mind giving you a short recap of what I think. Compared to Bo Welch's other works like "Beetlejuice" and "Batman Returns" for example, the sets seemed lacking in terms of creativity, and even at times felt manipulating. It's like he knew that the film sucked, but wanted to try to make the sets as creative as possible for you to overlook it, since that's what he's a pro at, when in the end they just look like Seuss Land at “Islands Of Adventures”. And the design for the Mother Of All Messes taking over the house, well lets just say the video game based on the movie was more imaginative than this.

      The acting in the film went two ways for me, overly obnoxious, or corny and emotionless. I just didn't care about any of these characters since they are either too over the top for me to take seriously or find funny, or too one faced with their monotone voices; and since I don't find myself caring about the characters than it makes me hard to root for their development. The subplots for me just seemed very hammered in to make the story longer. I never got the impression that the film actually cared about developing these characters through these extra morals, which as a result didn't feel earned.

      As for the cartoon, I know there were a lot of changes from the book; I even stated in the review that I was disappointed that we didn't get to see the Cat balance the fish while balancing on top of a ball. Plus there are indeed plenty of filler moments in the cartoon as well. But in the very least, it did keep its message the primary focus, where they took it seriously. Furthermore, it did have a nice and welcoming atmosphere that wasn’t trying to be loud and obnoxious, or trying to be hip and cool with pop culture references and adult jokes. And despite the changes and filler moments, I did find them enjoyably entertaining that at least kept with the cartoon’s flowing narrative. I can see where you’re coming from when you say the kids are bland, but at least they were treated like kids, when in the Myers film all personality traits added to them just felt forced and unnatural. And yeah, the way the Things treated fish was cruel, but look at how the Cat treated the fish in the live action film, or how the things play with the babysitter, that to me is on the same level of cruel. The difference between the two films was in the original I found it funny where I bought that these things just wanted to have fun, when in the live action film I just found it be painfully annoying where in the end just comes off as mean-spirited.

      I can respect where you are coming from about the Myers film and why you disliked the cartoon, but to me I felt like the cartoon was handling itself more seriously with telling the story and bringing it to life through animation, than the other film did. It to me just felt half-assed and manipulative, like all the other Seuss films I’ve seen for the big screen. If you enjoy them, that’s fine with me. If you hate the cartoon, well who am I to judge because after all it’s all subjective.

      Delete
  5. I should have made this clearer, but I actually didn't dislike the cartoon so much. I would give it 5 out of 10, as I would give the film. Overall I agree that the cartoon is a better adaptation of the book than the film is. I just think that the cartoon has more that could have been better than a lot of people realize, and that the film has more good in it than people realize. I do understand why a fan of the book would hate the film, it's just that The Cat In The Hat is not one of my favourite Doctor Seuss books, so I don't get bothered so much by it being a bad adaptation. However your thoughts on The Cat In The Hat do mirror mine about The Lorax, I personally love the cartoon of The Lorax and hate the film of it. Sorry if you have spoken about this already, but may I ask out of interest if you have seen the cartoon or the film of The Lorax, and if so what are your opinions on them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see where you are coming from in that perspective, which I greatly respect. As for The Lorax films, well as a matter of fact I reviewed them both back to back on November in 2013 where I had more free time to write reviews, unlike I do nowadays. You can find them under my Blog archives. But to give you my very brief sum up of the two films. The 1972 film is a pure animated classic! While the 2012 film, aside from its animation, is awful. Though I haven't seen "Horton Hears A Who" yet, which I might try to review next year along with the animated short film.

      Delete