Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2014

BACK TO THE FUTURE THE ANIMATED SERIES: PILOT EPISODE

Last year and when I reviewed the last "Back To The Future" film of the trilogy, I hinted that my next review was going to be on the animated series. Well here you go, the first episode of the animated series of...

 

THE INTRO


The intro is decent. The animation I will admit looks a little to over the top and laughable cheesy but this is only the intro. I also dislike the new version of "Back In Time", I really wish I heard the original song by Huey Lewis And The News in this intro to really make me feel like this is a continuation to the story. However, with that aside, I like how we're introduced to each and every character as Doc picks them up from a different time period in his (I'm guessing) rebuilt Delorean. Marty is in 2015 escaping from Griff, Clara is in the old west being harassed by Mad Dog Tannen; and Jules and Verne are in the age of the Dinosaur being attacked by Dinosaur Biff. I also like that it ends with Einstein driving the time traveling train. How is he able to control it...IT'S A CARTOON! So overall it's a fair intro.

LIVE ACTION SEGMENTS



Great Scott, Christopher Lloyd is in this, maybe it won't be so bad after all. During the shows prologue and epilogue we see Doc Brown played by his original actor Christopher Lloyd as he shows you some of his inventions through his Hovercam. If I'm not mistaken, the events of the cartoon aren't just taking place after the third film, but it's also taking place after the events from the ride which would explain the rebuilt Deleorean. Don't believe my theory, just look at how the live action segments are shot and done as he shows you his inventions, it's extremely similar to the queue videos from the ride. They even use the "Please Stand By" screen that was used in the ride. I also like that during the epilogue we see Doc use his Magnet after when we see Bill Nye The Science Guy demonstrate his experiment for the people at home to try. Christopher Lloyd does a great job bringing his iconic performance to the small screen and just like in the films and the ride, he's lots of fun to watch.

BROTHERS


Jealous of his brother Jules, Verne decides to run away from home by using the Delorean and as Marty just stands there and watches him run away without doing anything at all,  goes back to the days of "The Civil War". Doc, Marty and Jules take the time train to save Verne before he gets killed with the troop he's forced to join lead by General Bugamel Tannen. To be honest, I like the set up to this episode and the show. I like that we get to spend time with Doc's kids and see him struggling with raising them. On top of it, I like that the episode talks about the sadness of "The Civil War" of brother fighting against brother which is actually pretty deep for a kids show. Also to the episodes credit, it does have the same creative writing that the films have. They even got Thomas F. Wilson to provide the voice of Biff's ancestor which he does a fine job of doing. Jules and Verne are also really cute and likable characters. Doc is not voiced by Christopher Lloyd, he's voiced by Dan Castellaneta (The guy who voices Homer Simpson) and while he does sound like Doc I don't understand why they couldn't get Lloyd to do the voice acting since he appears on the show. In "Yellow Submarine" even though they got "The Beatles" to appear, they didn't do the voice acting which is pretty obvious why; they're musicians not actors, while Christopher Lloyd on the other hand is and has a great voice for voice acting. Michael J.Fox sadly doesn't do the voice of Marty but again his substitute voices him fine.

I guess where the episode really falls flat is that it's a cartoon that's a legit sequel to the films than a spin off cartoon of being a series of it's own. I guess you can argue that it's a sequel to the story and not the real films, like how Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" and "Return To Oz" were only sequels to the classic stories we all know and love, but it uses live action footage of Doc Brown before we go into cartoon form as he tells his time travel adventure stories. On top of it, with Fox and Lloyd not doing the voice acting, they still got most of the cast to appear in the show from what I read. So yeah, it's a sequel and seeing the story continue in cartoon form is really goofy, stupid and not funny despite having good writing, morals and ideas. It's just so over the top and silly that it's hard to connect the live action segments to the show (And films for that matter) to this overly crazy cartoon.

If this were a series of it own that started from scratch or heck just picks up after the events from the third films WITH NO LIVE FOOTAGE AT ALL and just be a sequel to it's classic story, it could probably be a passable Animated Series. While I am giving the first episode a love or hate rating, I personally did not like it, I didn't hate it as much as I thought I was going to but I still didn't like it and from what I understand the series only gets worse.

RATING 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment