Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2013

DISNEY'S WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?

 
This is not going to be an easy film to review, we've all seen it, we know how good it is, we know it's going to get a 5/5 rating, we know how groundbreaking it is, we know the story, so instead of reviewing it, I'm just going to talk about why it means so much to me as a kid and how it appeals to me now as an adult. I'll also have three bonus reviews!
 

 When I came back from the park as a kid, I saw the ending on TV and from that ending alone, I was blown away by the action, the characters, the cartoons with the humans, I was scared by the villain and it all just wowed me. As time went on, I rented the film at my local Library and out of all films I could rent, I rented this film the most. It was a dream come true when I saw it. It had comedy, it had all the best cartoon characters being together in a human world, I loved the characters such as Roger, Jessica, Eddie, Benny and Baby Herman, I loved the villain, I was blown away when I saw Toon Town, I loved the action, it was just a great film!



As an adult, not only does it hold up the memories from my childhood but I found a lot more to appreciate from it. The live action and animation still looks like they're really together, it had adult content such as drinking, violence and suggestive material, it had great drama and a epic story, terrific acting epically from Bob Hoskins, the music haunts me and I learned whether you grew up with the film or not, you'll still love it because of it's mature storyline and watching the characters you grew up with. I also learned from my years of watching films where live action and animation go together, this is the perfect one! This film was a milestone in film history and films that followed after the film such as "Space Jam", "The Adventures Of Rocky & Bullwinkle" and "Cool World" was not as impressive or as great as this film! Even the films I just mention were probably inspired or heck even mention this film, that's how great this film is. The live action and animation was nothing new of course but this film was the one that perfected it.

The film never gets old, I've watched it a bunch of times and as time goes by I'll probably watch it twice as much then I did as a kid.

RATING 5/5

Now here are three Bonus Reviews that relate to the film. After the success of the film, Disney and Touchstone did three cartoons of Roger and Baby Herman.
 
In "Tummy Trouble", Baby Herman swallows his rattle and Roger takes him to a hospital. However, Roger accidentally swallows the rattle after Baby Herman burps it out and the doctors try to take the rattle out of Roger. Meanwhile Baby Herman goes off to look for bottles. The cartoon is just as funny as the opening cartoon in the film. It's clever, it brings back the old classic violence of a cartoon and things just get funnier and funnier as it progresses. We also get to see cameos of Droopy and Jessica Rabbit which are fun, and by the way the talking ambulance looks a lot like Benny the cab. I also love that the cartoon ends with them finishing the picture and we get to see the live action studio as a reminisce to how we got to the real world in the film. It's a very funny and clever cartoon that brings the same feel as the film.

RATING 5/5
  

In "Rollercoaster Rabbit", Roger and Baby Herman go to the state fair, however, Roger turns his back for a few moment and Baby Herman is now looking to get a red balloon. This one is ten times funnier then the previous. It has cartoonish violence, adult jokes, gross humor and the many things Roger goes through in this cartoon is great. Of course the climax with the Rollercoaster is the best part of the whole cartoon. Jessica Rabbit appears not once but twice in this cartoon and so does Droopy. If you think Roger messed up his refrigerator takes in the film were bad, watch him mess up something even worse. This cartoon is truly better than the first one! 

RATING 5/5
  

In "Trail Mix-Up", Roger and Baby Herman go camping in the woods but as usual Baby Herman causes trouble. The comedy just like the previous cartoons it's great and brings the same amount of humor as the previous one did. They even make an obvious reference to the cartoon in the film. However, there are some problems. The cameos of Jessica and Droopy are not only getting old but Jessica has a completely different voice and her cameo is boring then funny. The huge mistake is when the cartoon ends with the real world with so many out of place jokes that it's hard to believe that the short connects to the film. It's a funny cartoon despite it's old cameos and dumb ending.

RATING 4/5


1 comment:

  1. I always found the shorts hilarious, and in fact "Tummy Trouble" was my very first introduction to "Roger Rabbit" lore, not WFRR itself.

    It was originally theatrically released, playing before "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" and was included on that film's vhs.

    When I discovered "Rollercoaster Rabbit" and "Trail Mix Em Up" at age 11 or so, I remember loving them a lot and being very dissapointed that there were no more shorts.

    But in retrospect, I think they're kind of proof that a "Roger Rabbit 2" would not have worked out and it's for the best that it was never a thing.

    Mainly because Eddie Valiant and Judge Doom are the film's lifeblood and huge reasons why the film is so amusing and brilliant. Roger, Jessica and Baby Herman really can't carry a movie on their own, and as you said, after a while, the formula gets old.

    WFRR is still one of the best movies of all time and high on my personal Top 10.

    ReplyDelete