Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Ranking 007 Video Games: Introduction

Regarding video games, I'm not much of a diehard gamer. I just don't keep up with the medium like others due to how expensive and time-consuming it is. Above all, I am not as critical of games as I am of movies or shows. I don't pay too much attention to judging the graphics, gameplay, or story unless these problems stand out. For me, as long as I am having fun playing the games with a story that keeps me invested, graphics that look decently appealing, and an environment I can get lost in, the game has served its purpose. I simply don't think as deeply about games as I do with other mediums. While I'm not a big gamer or critical of video games compared to others, I still love playing like Grand Theft Auto, Crash Bandicoot, Super MarioRed Dead Redemption, Kingdom Hearts, Mafia, Sly Cooper, and many more. I certainly value the medium, not just for its playability but for how it helped expand my love for films. I wouldn't have been big into Lord of the Rings without the games based on the last two movies. I'm glad that my introduction to The Warriors was through the PS2 game. And The Godfather games help cemented my love for the franchise and its lore. What's even better about video games is that I can play as my favorite characters. I could swing endlessly around the city as Spider-Man. I am thrilled when I get to cause mayhem while saving Springfield as the characters from The Simpsons. And to play as Tony Montana, taking back what he lost, though goes against the message of the film is an exciting alternative experience. You know what you're looking at is not real, but interacting in environments and with the characters makes you feel you traveled into the world in the shoes of the protagonist, almost forgetting you're just watching a screen and pushing buttons. That's part of the charm and unique experience of a game that a film doesn't capture since you cannot control how a character performs their actions when watching a film or exploring every angle of a location. 

To further prove and celebrate how much video games have played a significant role in my love for films, I am not only going to review a game series based on a popular franchise but also write about them in the order in which I rank them based on my personal enjoyment for them. Picking a franchise was not hard at all; in fact, I knew what to pick from the very beginning without a second thought. That franchise is...

                                                        The 007 Game Franchise

The Godfather is my favorite franchise, but my favorite franchise that is always in progress goes to Bond. If it wasn't for playing the 007 games back when I was a kid, I would not be as obsessed with the franchise as I am today. At the time, nothing was more remarkable than playing as a well-known secret agent using gadgets, visiting exotic locations, driving cool cars, wooing the ladies, and fighting against some of the most tremendous forces of evil to save the world. Before I start, I have to mention a few essential things, which I will list below. 

  1. I am Not a Gaming Critic: After explaining how lightly I look at video games, expect these reviews to not be based on the mindset of an expert on games but more from the perspective of a casual gamer who is judging the games on playability and capturing the spirit of the franchise.
  2. Expect Me to Talk About my Relationship with Some of the Games: If I sounded vague about how much the games mean to me, I will indeed discuss my nostalgia with them, since part of the reason for this list is to express my relationship with the games that helped me become a Bond fan.
  3. I'm Only Talking About Bond Games for Certain Systems: As much as I would love to play every single Bond game, I am only sticking with the games for the PlayStation, GameCube, and Nintendo 64. This means I will not be including Bond games for systems such as the Gameboy, Atari, or PC. Not only do I not have the resources to play the games, but looking at them, with the exception of NightFire for the PC, there's hardly anything for me to talk about because of how dull and lacking theatricality they are. 
  4. I Will Not be Reviewing Online Multiplayer: While I plan to review most of the multiplayer modes in the games, I will not be reviewing online multiplayer. Barely anybody plays the online campaign (One of the reasons I'm not a fan of multiplayer games made for strictly online only), and I do not have the resources to take part in online mode at the current time. 
  5. Bonus Section: As a special treat, at the end of each review, I will have a bonus section talking about my favorite and least favorite mission.

Now that I have filled you in, get ready for my review series as I rank 14 of the 007 Games, that will start in a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment