Search This Blog

Saturday, December 1, 2018

THE MADAGASCAR PENGUINS IN A CHRISTMAS CAPER

Earlier this year I reviewed the Dreamworks comedy Madagascar, so to start my series of Holiday reviews this season, I'm going to review the Christmas short film that spun-off from it...

 http://madagascar.dreamworks.com/images/uploads/properties/cc_poster.jpg

I remember seeing this short on the big screen before the showing of "Wallace And Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-rabbit" when I saw it as a kid that had me constantly laughing as the film it spun-off from. I also would occasionally watch the short on the "Madagascar" DVD and still find myself getting enjoyment at that age. And now that I'm an adult do I still find it to be funny, or as enjoyable as the film that it spun-off from? ON WITH THE REVIEW!

Taking place during Christmas time before the events of the first movie, every animal in the Central Park Zoo are having a wonderful Christmas, except for a Polar who is all alone and depressed. The youngest member of the team of the Penguins, Private feels bad for the poor fellow, and decides to cheer him up by going to the city to get him a present, which results with him being captured by an old woman who mistakes him for a chew toy for her pet dog Mr.Chew. It is now up to Skipper, Rico, and Kowalski to search and rescue their friend before he gets torn to bits.

The film is only 10 minutes long, and to be perfectly honest I still find it to be just as good as the film that the short spun-off from. The designs for the characters look computerized, but are still fun to look at. The animation and humor is quick and energizing, as it throws tons of jokes at you, while still giving you time to breathe. And the jokes, slapstick and visual gags are just as hilarious as they were in the original film. The only major difference is we get to spend more time with the funniest and most memorable characters from "Madagascar" as we get to see them wander around a nice and colorful Christmas environment. The short exploits it's holiday visuals as we go from one joke after another, but just like how the first film was able to bring some legit emotion to it, this short manages to capture the spirit of Christmas through Skipper's desire of wanting to do something special for a lonely animal, which is pretty heartwarming.

OVERALL THOUGHTS

I don't want to go into too much detail since I will be spoiling the jokes for you, but if you love "Madgascar" you will definitely love this short. Much like its predecessor it's nothing amazing, or what I consider to be a classic kid’s movie, but it's still a fun watch filled with plenty of humor from the best characters in the entire franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment