Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

NICKELODEON'S ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE:PILOT


Here's a review on the episode of one of my all time favorite cartoon shows as a kid and as an adult called...
 

The show is about the misadventures of an Australian wallaby who wears a Hawaiian shirt named Rocko. He has a dog named Spunky, friends such as Heffer the steer and Filbert the turtle and next door neighbors of toads called the Bigheads. That's your show, weird concept but so is "Ren & Stimpy" and "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" and most of us buy into it's cartoonish and surreal atmosphere. As usual, before I start reviewing a season of an on going show, I usually start with the pilot episode and believe me when I say that you probably never seen it before. 

THE INTRO
 

Instead of getting the classic intro that we know and love, we have a really different type of intro. We go through a family album of his years growing up and then we get a crazy montage of funny and surreal things happening. While I enjoy the history of the character and surrealness of the intro it still feels bland and the music is forgettable, it just sounds like bland elevator music. Instead of the logo being a giant TV with the title on it, we get a logo of the title with Rocko and Spunky on the title which I'll admit is bland too. Overall the intro we know and love is better and I'm glad they changed it. 

 

It's trash day which comes very rarely and Rocko must take out the trash before the living trash eating garbage truck leaves. However, a mad hungry Bulldog stands in Rocko's way and Spunky is chasing after a ball of garbage slime. Rocko is a very funny and likable character. He goes from having a calm personality to being one of the most over the top crazy lunatic I've ever seen while having some of the best cartoons  reactions and expressions. By the way, what's with Rocko switching back and fourth to having yellow green skin to white skin?  Spunky is fun and cute but the subplot with him chasing after a ball of slime is more gross and stupid then funny. To be honest, I really wasn't laughing to much while I was watching this episode. The only thing I laughed at was Rocko meeting the Bulldog with Spunky in the dogs mouth, his reactions, the line "Garbage day is a very dangerous day" and the little guys in the fridge, that's it. The rest was dull, gross or just not funny. As for the animation it's decent, just decent and I guess creative as well.

Overall aside from a few jokes, the pilot is not that good but I give it credit for starting the idea.

RATING 2/5


No comments:

Post a Comment