Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2013

TROPIC THUNDER


 An action film based on a true story starring a couple of big named stars is doing very poor and is going off schedule. The director meets the guy who wrote the story and he suggests to send the actors to the actors to the jungle where the enemy is and film it there with hidden cameras. The film mostly satires Vietnam War movies.

 
 Our three main stars, Ben Stiller, Jack Black and Robert Downey Jr. do a hilarious and tremendous job at playing these characters. Ben Stiller as the Sylvester Stallone type of actor who's in crappy films is brilliant. He's funny, he's insane and I love his mockery impersonations on big action stars and award winning stars. By the way, I'm in great awe that he directed, wrote and starred in this film.Jack Black plays the comedic actor who's hooked on drugs and he too is funny. I love how crazy he gets when he doesn't take drugs in the middle to the end of the film and can I say any more about Jack Black's performance on here, he's Jack Black he's funny in ALMOST everything he's in. Finally Robert Downey Jr. plays an Oscar winning actor who never breaks character in filming and sometimes doesn't even know who he is. He's funny and mostly over dramatic and I have to admit, this is one of those rare times when I say blackface actually looks good on someone.  
 
The supporting characters are just as funny and memorable as they are. We have Brandon T. Jackson as the closeted homosexual rapper, who's name is a play on Al Pacino(Which the reason why I think he's named after him is because it's parodying a gay film he starred in called "Cruisin'"). Then we have Jay Baruchel as a novice actor, Steve Coogan as the director, Danny McBride as the obsessive special effects man who loves creating explosions and Matthew McConaughey as the best friend and agent to Ben Stiller's character. The supporting characters that stood up to me the most and the ones who I really enjoy is Nick Nolte as the crazy soldier who wrote the book, Brandon Soo Hoo as that crazy kid dictator who's the films villain and Tom Cruise as the fat hot headed, foul mouthed and wanna be hip studio executive. By the way, be on the look out for cameos of other celebrities.

Now for the important part of the film, does it do a good job at satirizing Vietnam War films, I didn't think it was possible since Vietnam Films and the war are all treated seriously, surprisingly they make the satire so funny that I'm not ashamed of laughing at it. It satires all the great films such as "Platoon", "The Deer Hunter", the Rambo film's, "Apocalypse Now" and more, and if you saw these films, you'll know exactly what scene their satirizing and believe me, I caught a lot of it. I also love that the film has some serious moments and brings you a mild feel of the horrors of war. The film also parody's and makes fun of World War 2 films, famous stars and films in general. I also love that the film opens with fake trailers of each film starring one of the main characters, that really pulled me into the films atmosphere. Oh and for you dialogue fans, there's some really good comedic dialogue.

The film's really funny, it's one of the greatest satires I ever seen and has really good casting. I kid you not, their are some dull or pointless moments that drag(Mostly with Tom Cruise dancing) and the film did receive controversy from mocking mentally challenged people and having Downey in blackface but overall it's still a good or dare I say great satire film.

RATING 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment