Search This Blog

Monday, May 6, 2013

NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER (1914)

  Our Director of the Month is...

HERBERT BRENON


Herbert Brenon is a silent film Director who's made 129 films along with short films. He's also been nominated the Academy Award for Best Director. However, while making so many films most of them have been lost including the film where he was nominated for Best Director. Only some of his films have been found and while I can't promise to cover them all since one is a horror flick, I'll do my best to cover as many as I can. To start the Month I'm going to start by reviewing the only surviving footage from his earlier film...

NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER (1914)


The film stars Austrian swimmer Annette Kellermann as Neptune's Daughter and according to my readings on the film, it's about the daughter of Neptune taking revenge on the man who killed her sister but soon falls in love with the man. I've only found two videos of this lost film on "Youtube" and I'm going to rate each video.The first video is called "Neptune's Daughter (1914) featuring Annette Kellerman". Looking at this footage, I don't know what to make of it. We go from seeing Annette Kellermann with some over the top royal looking men, she's playing "Ring Around The Rosie" with some girls, some Robin Hood looking guy is spying on her, we see people stunt jumping in the water off a cliff, cut to random shots of King Neptune and it ends with some old woman separating Annette and that guy spying on her. Maybe it has one or two good shots but that's it. It's mostly a what the heck sequence. The other video is called "Annette Kellerman in Neptune's Daughter" and only shows a minute and a few seconds of King Neptune, his Mermaids on land and Annette one shot having fins when in the next one she has legs. The video says see more on "MermaidFX.com" but I couldn't find any more on the film. Not as artsy as I hoped, makes zero sense and on top of it, it wasn't worth my time. Even the lost footage of Annette Kellermann wasn't worth it either.

RATING 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment