Search This Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013

DISNEY'S DUMBO

I remember in 11th Grade, I was taking a class called "Modern Media" and my teacher played the film "Dumbo" and was nitpicking almost every single scene in the movie, even the innocent scenes and opening credits. Knowing I couldn't share my opinions, while she forces hers and might give me a bad grade if I do defend my thoughts, I dropped out of that class. Well, thank heavens I have my own website where I'm allowed to share my thoughts and opinions whether you agree with them or not. Here's my review on...



"Dumbo" is basically your "Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer" story. A little Elephant named Dumbo is born with big ears and everybody makes fun of him. His Mother one day tries to protect Dumbo from a crowd of teasing kids (The leader looking like Lampwick from Pinocchio), but she is taken into solitary confinement for her actions. Dumbo makes some new friends and he finds out that his huge ears can make him fly. The film also focuses on the circus world around Dumbo.




Our main character has to be one of the cutest characters that Disney has ever made. While not having a single line in this film, his expressions show everything that he's going through as well as making the viewer feel his emotions. Dumbos Mother again, has no dialogue except for one line, and just like Dumbo, her expressions show a great deal of what she's going through and the scenes with her and Dumbo is touching. Timothy The Circus Mouse is a very fun and likable character and the friendship between him and Dumbo is perfect. The Gossiping Female Elephants (One being voiced by Verna Felton) have some really good funny dialogue and are a lot of fun. The Ringmaster who for some reason is considered as the film's villain when really it's the Elephants who are the primary villains, is funny and enjoyable. Next we have the Stork voiced by Sterling Holloway and he is another really funny character.

Now this leads us to the Crows, what do I think of the Crows. Alright, I'm not going to say "they're not black stereotypes" because it is obvious; in fact, in the original screenplay the lead Crows name is Jim, yeah not helping either. However, most of them are indeed voiced by African Americans (One being James Baskett, who will later play Uncle Remus in "Song Of The South") and while the lead one is voiced by a white guy (Cliff Edwards who voiced Jimmny Cricket) I've heard African American voice actors voice white people in other things. Voice acting is supposed to make you sound like a different person and that's what Cliff Edward did. Yeah, you can argue that their voices are stereotypical, but I've heard worse stereotypical voices than this. As for their designs, well, I personally don't find them offensive looking compared to other racist images that make me sick to my stomach, they're just Crows with African American voices. What really separates the Crows from the common stereotypes going around at the time when it was all acceptable is they actually have character. They're not the dumb stereotypes of blacks that were going around at the time, they're actually the smartest characters in the film. They feel for Dumbo; they understand Dumbo; and on top of it, they're the ones that make Dumbo fly, which leads to a happy ending. Also, if you can get past the stereotype, they're portrayed as not only the smartest characters in the film, but also the coolest and incredibly fun ones as well.



The songs in the film are for the most part memorable, while fitting the tone for each scene. "Look Out For Mr.Stork" is a great and fitting opening to the film. "Casey Jr." the theme song for the talking train is catchy. "When I've Seen An Elephant Fly" sung by the Crows is the catchiest and best song in the whole film. The Pink Elephants song is the most surreal song in the whole movie. Then there's the song "Baby Mine" which a lot of people cry at and I too surrender my emotions to the scene. Dumbo hasn't seen his Mother in awhile, she's behind bars and is chained up and can only reach out her trunk out through the bars to make contact with her son. She sings and rocks Dumbo, while Dumbo cries on how much he misses her and we see other baby animals sleeping by their Mothers. It's that sad and writing this made me teary eye a little, it's that powerful.

We finally move on to the next controversial thing about the movie "The Song Of The Roustabout" as we see African Americans put up the tent. Here's a small history lesson. During the time most African Americans were migrant workers who handled menial jobs when schools were not integrated yet in their culture. While not looking like stereotypes or doing anything stereotypical except working, I will admit I don't blame people for attacking this scene. Sure, it's a reflection of the times, but with that said, is it necessary to put such a topic in a kids movie? In fact, even the lyrics to the song are just dark and offensive for a kids film, even it will fly over children's heads. I guess I might as well add to my personal viewing as a kid, I never saw the workers black (I'm not saying they aren't), I just saw them as shadows of humans since the scene does take place at night, but they did look creepy however. If this scene was cut in future DVD releases, I wouldn't mind it so much because I find the idea and scene for the most part boring for a kids film. However, rather than being cut, I prefer it to be restored with just the instrumental of the song and show the animals working, as a matter of fact, the animals work more then the humans do. Then again, I'm the kind of guy who's against things like films, shows, music etc etc being censored or banned. I'll get into my thoughts on that topic in another review. If you can get passed the offensive song, the sequence does have plenty of great visuals, some fun and cute moments with Dumbo, and one hell of an atmosphere.



Finally the animation. It's Disney, Disney always makes good animation (For the most part at least). I enjoy the darkness, colorful circus colors, the angles, all that good stuff. The animation for the most is also very bizarre and artsy at times. Best example is the Pink Elephants number, which is so surreal that it's something you have to see it for yourself. However, while having a decent and at many times creative animation, some of it is a bit sloppy. Of course, the film was made during the animators strike and boy does it show. A few examples are Casey Jr the talking train, constantly swings back and fourth to having a real cartoon face to having a weird looking robotic looking face. Kind of awkward. The biggest things I've noticed are the designs for most of the humans. Aside from the Ringmaster, the kids laughing and the clowns, most humans are seen through the silhouette of curtains, in the dark, or from a far away distance. I don't have a problem with it at all, actually I think it's clever. However, if you look at the faces of most humans, well, some don't have a face and that's pretty scary. While not having animation as great as "Fantasia","Pinocchio" and "Snow White" it's still done very well.

Dumbo is a film that has almost everything kids want to see in a kids film. It's cute, it's funny, it's sad, it has lovable characters, it has (For the most part) great songs, the animation is good and the story is easy to follow. As much I find it a Disney classic and a great kids film it still does have it's flaws and controversy.

RATING 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment