Search This Blog

Saturday, July 6, 2013

DISNEY'S GRAVITY FALLS: THE PILOT



Ah yes, I can remember a time when Disney Channel showed such great cartoons such as "Ducktales", "Gargoyles", "Goof Troop", "Recess", "Darkwing Duck", "The House Of Mouse","The New Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh" and so on. However, as time went on, Disney Channel started trying to be cool, hip, modern and more for teens not just for their crappy unfunny sitcom shows but also for their animated shows as well. However, in recent years Disney Channel gave us a few animated shows that balance it's modern look with good comedy and it's creative approach to younger audiences. One of those shows is...
 

It's a new show that hasn't even finished it's first season yet but I'm going to review it anyway. Since they haven't gone to their second season and not knowing if it's a show that's going to last for another Season, I'm just going to review the Pilot episode anyway. Oh and for you readers in advance if a show only lasts for one Season, I'm going to review every single episode in one review, No pilots and no series finale. With that out of the way, ON WITH THE REVIEW...

THE INTRO


The intro to the show is actually really cool. I love how our characters are introduced, I love the animation, the music's nice and on top of it a lot of cool adventurous things are happening. There's mystery, there's humor, there's scary images, there are surreal things happening and to cram it all into a minute intro is very impressive. Just by watching the intro alone, I'm hyped and I hope the show or at least the episode itself is as good as the intro.

TOURIST TRAPPED
First off, I love how it opens. It looks peaceful and suttle then all of a sudden two kids are in a Golf-Cart running away from an off screen monster in the woods with dramatic looking colors in the background. I love how a show or movie just opens up with questions that will soon be answered. So far, good opening but is the episode good, are the characters good and does this opening lead to a good payoff? Well lets start with the plot. 12 Year old twin brother and sister named Dipper And Maybell are sent to stay with their Uncle Stan who lives in a town in the woods called "Gravity Falls" and he owns a tourist trap museum. Dipper finds a mysterious book about the strange stuff in the town and his sister is dating a teenage boy, who Dipper suspects to be a zombie. Sounds like something I should review on Horror month but trust me, it's not worth putting on horror month.

Our characters are actually pretty fun and likable. Dipper is an ok character, I like that he's a curious young boy and observes all the weird things happening around him, he's even funny when he goes nuts, however, his voice doesn't sound like a 12 year old and he sounds more like a late 20 year old, thus the actor voicing him sounds bland. I don't hate the character, I just don't like the voice acting for him, however, there are more episodes and from what I've seen, I enjoyed the character a lot better than here. His twin sister Maybell is very funny, very cute and I love that the episode shows that she's as smart as the main character and is not just going to be the typical annoying sister cliche. Their Uncle Stan is really funny, always enjoyable, very over the top and I enjoy him every time he appears on screen. Soos the handyman is another funny character and just like Uncle Stan, I enjoy him every time he appears. Finally we have Wendy, who does appears very little in the episode but man is she cool. I know she's going to be Dipper's love interest but it surprises me that they didn't develop it here. 

The episode is very creative with it's ideas and animation. I like that our character goes from dating a Zombie to finding a twist on the character that I did not see coming. The twist, well without giving it away my feelings are mixed. It's funny but it feels like a poor payoff; the monster is somewhat scary and creative but at the same time I feel a bit gypped. However, I love how it's hinted early on in the episode, so in a way I kind of knew it was coming. The humor and jokes in this episode are very funny and aside from the twist (Even though it is kind of funny), I laughed at everything they threw at me. Oh and the ending, well let me just say that I love that it raises more questions about the town.

The characters are enjoyable, the episode is creative, it's animated well and the humor is funny. With that said, the voice acting for Dipper was kind of bland and the plot twist still has me mixed. Aside from that, it's a good start to the show.

RATING 4/5



No comments:

Post a Comment