Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

ANNIE HALL

 Now before I begin the review and I just want to announce that every Month except for October and December, I'll have a Director of the month and I'll at least review one of their movies almost every week. I grantee I'm not going to cover all the Directors films in one month unless if that Directors made less. If that's the case don't worry, I'll have another month representing that Director but not for a while at least maybe a year or so before I start talking about him again. Don't worry, I'll still write reviews on films whether I'm focusing on the Director or not. I just wanted to this to point out to some of Hollywood's best filmmakers and worst filmmakers. As for the horror filmmakers and writers, well that's Halloween stuff and don't worry I'll make sure I talk about them. Are Director of the month is...

WOODY ALLEN

One of the best comedic directors and actors on the planet. His films are clever and funny, his comedic approach is naturalm and you just got to love his writing. Mr.Allen has done many great films and performances and has been nominated for 23 Oscars and has won 4 for Best Screenplay and Best Director but his best film is his Oscar winning masterpiece that won Best Picture up against "Star Wars" called...



"Annie Hall" is a romantic comedy told from the point of view of Woody Allen's character Alvy Singer. He's a comedian who lives in New York City and falls in love with a ditsy woman named Annie Hall (Diane Keaton) who wants to be a singer. The film is not just a look at relationships, it's also some what based on Woody Allen's relationship with Diane Keaton (Which her birth name was Diane Hall and her nickname would be Annie).

 

Woody Allen gives his same comical and natural approach that we all know and love him for. He's funny, never gets boring. Diane Keaton is brilliant as Annie and watching her as this laughable woman makes me feel so happy after seeing her as the dramatic wife Kay Adams in "The Godfather Saga" (Which by the way Allen does make a "Godfather" joke). Seeing the two together on screen is one of the best chemistry and relationship I have ever saw on screen and the fact that they use to date in real life makes it even more wonderful. This is indeed one of the greatest comedic relationships I have ever saw on screen.


As for the film, it's one of the best romantic comedies I've ever seen. There's really not much of a story, it's just focusing on the relationship between these two characters that's just full of humorous scenes one after another. Woody Allen does tell the jokes and puts in many topics he uses such as antisemitism; childhood; old jokes he remembers; drugs; death; love of New York and hate towards California; put downs on himself; relationship; and sex. The film also uses tons of funny techniques such as breaking the fourth wall; animation; subtitles; him as an adult traveling to his childhood; split screen; random transformations; double-exposed action; off screen commentary and narration; and lots lots more. The film also has the celebrity appearances of  Carol Kane, Paul Simon, Shelley Duvall, Tony Roberts, Colleen Dewhurst, Janet Margolin, Marshall McLuhan, and up and coming star Christopher Walken, and they all do a great job in the film that leave an impression on you, especially when you get them together with Woody Allen, as he works off of them.

This film has so many funny moments that I might do my favorite moments from this film. Everything in this film is so funny, so well written, so well directed that the moments I didn't get, get funny when I see it again. One of the best and must see romantic comedies of all time.

RATING 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment